Wednesday, October 26, 2011

{south of the border sandwiches}

This sandwich is TO DIE FOR good.  It has so many of my favorites flavors, textures, and ingredients in it, and I love it.  I also love it for a couple of other reasons--my kids will eat it (at least the turkey and cheese), and it's super fast and easy.  I served it with homemade oven fries, and two days later, I'm still craving it!  The sauce is absolutely divine--I used light mayo and sour cream to make it more figure friendly--and I even dipped my fries in it.  YUM! Emma and I are eating gluten free, so I just used a loaf of homemade gluten-free bread, and it was delicious!

 South of the Border Sandwiches

1 loaf French bread, cut into 3/4" thick slices
½ cup olives, chopped
½ teaspoon chili powder
½ teaspoon ground cumin
¼ teaspoon salt
1/3 cup lite mayonnaise
1/3 cup nonfat sour cream
1/3 cup green onions, chopped
1 pound sliced turkey
2 medium tomatoes, thinly sliced
2 ripe avocados, sliced
¾ cup cheddar cheese, shredded
¾ cup pepper jack or Monterey Jack cheese, shredded

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a bowl, combine olives, chili powder, cumin, and salt; set aside 2 Tablespoons of this mixture. Add the mayonnaise, sour cream, and green onions to the remaining olive mixture.

Place bread on an ungreased baking sheet and spread 1 Tablespoon of the mayonnaise mixture on each slice. Top with slices of turkey and tomatoes. Spread with another Tablespoon of mayonnaise mixture (I didn't add this because I didn't think it needed it). Top with avocados and cheeses. Sprinkle with the reserved 2 Tablespoons of olive mixture. Bake @ 350 for 15 min. Makes 8-10 servings.

1 comment:

Kristine Robinson said...

Sounds divine - I will try it this weekend! I LOVE your blog. Keep the recipes coming!!