Sunday, April 6, 2008

Smothered Sweet Pork Burritos

Wow is the best word to describe these amazing burritos. This recipe came from one of my MOFs a couple of years ago, and it is fantastic. Be prepared though, because once you make them, you'll want to eat them all the time!

SMOTHERED SWEET PORK BURRITOS

2 1/2 lbs. pork, any cut
Salt and pepper
Garlic salt
10 flour tortillas (1 package)
2-15 oz. cans mild green chili sauce, divided
1/2 c. brown sugar
1-15 oz. can black beans, well drained
1 bunch cilantro, chopped
1/3 lb. Monterey Jack cheese, grated

Garnishes:

Chopped tomatoes
Salsa
Lettuce
Sour cream
Guacamole

Cut pork into large cubes and place in slow cooker with 1/3 c. water. Season with salt, pepper, and garlic salt. Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours. Remove from cooker and drain. Shred meat and place in a bowl. Stir in 1/2 c. green chili sauce and brown sugar (you can use 1 c. of each for more flavor). Heat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9x13 pan with cooking spray. Warm the tortillas in the microwave to make them easier to roll.
Pour 1/2 c. green chili suace into the prepared pan. Place 1/3 c. of the meat mixture down the middle of each tortilla. Sprinkle 1-2 T. black beans, and 1-2 tsp. cilantro over the top, then roll the burrito and place seam-side down in baking dish. Repeat with remaining tortillas. Pour 1 1/2-2 c. green chili sauce over burritos and sprinkle with cheese. Cover with foil and bake 25-30 minutes or until cheese is melted and burritos are warmed through.
*To save time, I have also mixed the meat mixture, black beans, and cilantro together first, then used that mixture to place in the burritos all at one time.

3 comments:

Char @ Crap I've Made said...

Hey! This is my recipe!

Alissa said...

hey! this is char's recipe! i actually googled this and got your site. I was thrilled that someone had posted it online and i didn't have to hunt char down to find it AGAIN. I think she's given it to me 3 or 4 times.

Barbara said...

Zowie! I am not a Mexican food fan, but this one sounded intriguing, so I tried it! It was terrific!!! I am excited to add this to my recipe book! I put in the extra sugar and sauce with the pork, and would probalby decrease that to 3/4 cup of each next time, but that sweet really is fun to bit into! I had a hard time finding the green chili enchilada sauce, finally getting it at Glen's because either Meijer was out or they don't stock it anymore, but it was worth the effort. Thank you again, so much, for sharing. Very, very delicious!