Sunday, April 6, 2008

Hawaiian Smoked Sausage and Rice

I found this recipe years ago, and I like it because it breaks up all the chicken I use! :) It really is delicious, and kids like it too!

HAWAIIAN SMOKED SAUSAGE AND RICE

1 ring smoked turkey sausage
1 green pepper, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
1 can diced tomatoes
1/2 c. beef broth
1 T. brown sugar
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 can pineapple tidbits, plus reserved juice
2 T. cornstarch

Cut the sausage into 1/2 inch slices, and brown then in a skillet with the pepper and onions. Add undrained diced tomatoes, beef broth, brown sugar, garlic powder, pepper, and drained pineapple. Boil for 5 minutes. Add the cornstarch to the reserved juice, then add to skillet. Boil for another 2 minutes, or until thick. Serve over rice.

1 comment:

Barbara said...

This was delicious! I tried it tonight and loved the flavors. The kids are not crazy about bell peppers (okay, they hate 'em) but they liked it otherwise. I love how easy it is. I am looking forward to using this for one of my Friday Lunch Bunch meals for when my high school kids bring their friends home for lunch. It'll be easy on a full day. Thank you for sharing this and all the other recipes. I have really enjoyed trying some of them out this week. For FHE we had the apple turnover desserts -- loved those!Tomorrow is corn chowder. I'm excited!
Thanks!
Love, Barbara