Monday, January 26, 2009

{buttermilk waffles}

Okay, I know everyone has their own favorite waffle recipe, and I can't help but share mine. It's a definite standby, and waffles for dinner is a common occurrence at our house. Everyone loves them! I have tried many different recipes and mixes, and they just don't compare with this one. Buttermilk is definitely the key to fluffier, yummier, waffles.

*Recipe courtesy Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook

BUTTERMILK WAFFLES

1 3/4 c. all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
2 eggs
2 c. buttermilk
1/2 c. cooking oil (I usually use less)

1. In a medium mixing bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Make a well in the center of dry mixture; set aside.
2. In another medium bowl, whisk eggs. Stir in buttermilk and oil.
3. Add buttermilk mixture to dry mixture, and stir just until moistened (batter will be lumpy).

*If you don't have buttermilk on hand, you can substitute sour milk for the same amount. For each cup of sour milk needed, place 1 T. lemon juice or vinegar in a glass measuring cup. Add enough milk to make 1 c. total liquid; stir. Let the mixture sit for 5 minutes before using it in a recipe.

1 comment:

Barbara said...

I can't tell you how much I appreciate you including this recipe here. I have been using a recipe that, though good, is a huge pain in the neck to make. Then when I fed these ones to my family, and they LOVED them, I LOVED you for sharing. It is so much simpler, and it is failproof (so far). Thank you!!