Saturday, May 8, 2010

{caramel shortbread bars}


A couple of weeks ago I was sitting in the doctor's office, and ended up waiting for some time. I found myself thumbing through quite a few magazines, and stumbled across a recipe that I could not wait to try. I pulled out the notebook and pen from my purse, and hastily scratched down the recipe. Unfortunately, I did not document the name of the magazine, so if anyone knows, please let me know so I can give them credit!

This afternoon I had a chance to try them, and holy moly, they are fantastic! If you are a caramel lover, these bars are for you. The crumbly goodness of the shortbread crust, combined with the rich chewiness of the caramel = DIVINE.

CARAMEL SHORTBREAD BARS

Crust:
10 T. unsalted butter, melted
1/2 c. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1 egg yolk
1 2/3 c. flour

Mix ingredients well, then press into a 9x9 pan that has been layered with foil or parchment paper and goes over the edges of the pan about an inch. Prick with a fork, then freeze for 5 minutes. Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes. Let cool completely.

Caramel:
1/2 c. butter
1/2 c. brown sugar
2 T. sugar
6 T. Karo syrup
1 tsp. salt
2 T. heavy cream

Add all ingredients to a large saucepan, and bring to a boil. Stirring constantly, boil for 5 minutes. Remove from heat, then add 1/2 tsp. vanilla. Pour over the cooled crust, then refrigerate until firm. Cut into squares.



ENJOY!

3 comments:

Cooktop said...

OMG! Looks too good.

Kristine Robinson said...

I have made these five times now and they are the most delicious things I have ever eaten. Thank you so much for this recipe!

Carrie said...

I made these last night and overcooked the crust just a little; still delicious though. I love the caramel/shortbread combo!