Monday, July 14, 2008

{cafe rio shredded pork salad with creamy cilantro dressing}

Oh my goodness, this is so, so delicious! I have had these recipes for a long time, but it wasn't until my good friend Erica tried them a couple of months ago that I became inspired to try them myself. I'm not sure if I thought they would be too time-intensive or what, but it actually didn't take long at all, and since the pork goes in the crockpot, it makes it that much faster to put together.

CAFE RIO SHREDDED PORK SALAD

6 lbs. pork loin (I used a smaller roast and adjusted the other ingredients)
1 16 oz. jar salsa
1 can Coke
2 c. brown sugar

Mix last three ingredients together and pour over roast after it has been placed in the crockpot. Cook for 3-5 hours, or until meat is falling apart. Shred with two forks.

CILANTRO RICE

There is a different recipe for this dish, but I condensed it to make a shorter version. It's perfect as a layer on this salad.

2 c. uncooked rice
4 c. chicken broth
1/4 tsp. salt
cilantro, chopped

Bring the water and salt to a boil, add rice and cilantro, then cover with a lid. Simmer covered 20 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender.

CREAMY CILANTRO DRESSING

1 buttermilk ranch packet, prepared according to directions
2 tomatillos
1/2 bunch cilantro
1 clove garlic
Juice of 1 lime
1 jalapeno (it's already pretty spicy without the seeds, but you can add them for extra spice)

Blend all together in food processor or blender, store in fridge.

MAKING YOUR SALAD!!

Layer romaine lettuce, cilantro rice, black beans, and the shredded pork on a plate. Top with the Creamy Cilantro Dressing. ENJOY!!!

No comments: