Wednesday, June 25, 2008

{mint brownies}


Last night I had a little get-together at my house, and I really wanted to make mint brownies. I have a recipe that I have used before, but the brownie part isn't my favorite, and the chocolate on top was hard to spread. So, I decided to create my own, using a combination of recipes. They turned out SO good! I will definitely be making them like this from now on.

MINT BROWNIES

Brownies:

3/4 tsp. salt
1 c. + 2 T. flour
1/3 c. cocoa
2/3 c. brown sugar
2/3 c. white sugar
1/2 c. chocolate chips
handful mini marshmallows
3 eggs
2/3 c. butter, melted
1 tsp. vanilla

Combine sugars and butter. Add eggs and vanilla, then cocoa. Mix in flour and salt. Stir in chocolate chips and marshmallows. Pour into a greased 9x13 pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 25-32 minutes, or until well done. Do not overbake. Let cool to room temperature.
*Usually I make these and frost with a chocolate buttercream frosting. They are really versatile, and very delicious! You can also add white chocolate chips, which give it a different, yummy taste.

Mint Frosting:

1 recipe Traditional Buttercream Frosting
2-3 drops green food coloring
1 tsp. peppermint flavoring

Make frosting as directed, then add food coloring and flavoring. Add more flavoring to taste. Beat well, until light and fluffy. Once brownies are completely cool, spread generously over the top.

Chocolate Ganache:

2 c. chocolate chips, or finely chopped chocolate squares (I prefer milk chocolate, but semi-sweet is generally used.)
8-10 T. whipping cream

Melt the chocolate in a glass bowl in the microwave, stirring every 30 seconds until melted. Add 8 T. of the cream, then a little more if necessary, stirring until glossy. Spread over mint layer carefully. Let the brownies sit for a few minutes before cutting.
*This is based on a basic recipe I found on Picky Palate, but you can use any recipe for chocolate ganache that you like.

3 comments:

likeschocolate said...

I am sure these are yummy, but have you ever tried layering in Mint Andies in them. So yummy. You just but 2/3 batter and then layer your Andies, and then cover with remaining batter. Try it sometime.

Company EIGHT said...

That does sound good! I'll have to try it!

Barbara said...

Yup! They were yummy!