Monday, January 26, 2009

{peanut butter pie}

I usually post recipes on my recipe blog, but I think this one garners a little extra special attention. I received this recipe a few weeks ago from a friend, and have now had a couple of occasions in which to make it. It is SO yummy--and most absolutely a temptation! Peanut butter, cream cheese, and chocolate? Can't go wrong! I'm sorry I didn't take a picture--it's even more tempting in person!!

I was also just reminded this afternoon, of one of my favorite treats since childhood. I wanted to make something for Ryan for after school, and decided on Rice Krispie treats. I love to add different things into the treats to create varying tastes and textures, all while using a basic favorite. Today I added butterscotch chips (about half a bag) to the marshmallows and melted them together (add chips in when marshmallows are almost melted), then stirred in the Rice Krispies. I then added the rest of the bag of chips and pressed the mixture into my pan. SO good! You can use peanut butter chips, chocolate chips, even a small box of your favorite kind of Jell-O for a fruity flavor. Kids love to choose their favorite combination.

PEANUT BUTTER PIE WITH CHOCOLATE GANACHE

1 1/2 c. heavy whipping cream
1/4 c. sugar
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
1 c. creamy peanut butter
1 c. powdered sugar

Whip the cream and sugar together until soft peaks form (don't beat too long--it will turn into butter!!). In a separate bowl, beat the other ingredients together. Fold in the whipped cream mixture until well blended. Pour into a graham cracker crust, and cover with ganache (recipes to follow). Refrigerate for several hours.

Graham cracker crust:

1 1/4 c. graham cracker crumbs
1/4 c. sugar
1/3 c. butter, melted

Mix all ingredients together , then press firmly in bottom and sides of a 9-inch pie pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 8 minutes. Let cool.

Ganache:

8 oz. chocolate (I use chocolate chips)
2 T. unsalted butter
2-4 T. heavy whipping cream

Pour ingredients in medium glass (microwaveable) bowl, starting with 2-3 T. of whipping cream. Microwave for 20-30 seconds, then stir. Place back in microwave for a few more seconds at a time if necessary, just until chocolate will mix easily. If it's too thick, continue to add a little whipping cream at a time, until it reaches a smooth, creamy consistency. It should be spreadable, but not runny.

No comments: