Thursday, December 18, 2008

{chalupa grande}

I tried this recipe this week, after perusing some more of my cookbooks. This particular one is from a friend, and I'm so glad she shared it! It's wonderful--full of flavor, and so many options to serve.

CHALUPA GRANDE

2 c. (1 lb.) dry pinto beans
3 lb. boneless pork roast
7 c. water
1/2 c. onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, pressed
2-3 tsp. cumin
1-2 T. chili powder
1/2 T. salt
1 tsp. oregano leaves
1 can (4 oz.) diced green chilies

Add to crockpot and cook on high 8 hours. After cooked, shred roast and mix. Serve with chips, grated cheese, green onions, lettuce, salsa, sour cream, guacamole, olives, or anything else you like. I loved it best over chips, but Rick preferred using warmed tortillas.
**I also tried this using canned pinto beans, and it turned out well. Just omit the dry beans and 7 c. water, and use as many drained cans of pinto beans as you would like.

No comments: