Wednesday, October 19, 2011

{northern cornbread}

Wow!  It's been a long time since I've posted a recipe!  I just finished completely re-doing my recipe binder(s), and I am thrilled.  I discovered a few long lost recipes, got rid of recipes we didn't like or didn't use, and added a ton of new favorites. 

Today I'm sharing an old favorite.  It's definitely chili weather, and it's something our family loves and eats often.  The perfect complement to chili is cornbread, and I am forced to choose between two wonderful choices--Southern Cornbread (in right side column), and Northern Cornbread.

Northern Cornbread is a little more cake-y and sweet, and very delicious.  Serve it warm with butter, or dip it in your chili--either way, you will want more!

Northern Cornbread
Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

Whisk together:
1 ¼ c. cornmeal
¾ c. flour
4 T. sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. salt

Whisk in separate bowl:
2 large eggs
2/3 c. milk
2/3 c. buttermilk

Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir just until moistened. Fold in 2-3 T. butter or oil.  Bake for 20-25 minutes in a 9x9 square pan, or 10-12 minutes in a 12-cup muffin tin.

1 comment:

Barbara said...

Yes, it has been a while since you've put out a recipe. I'm glad to see a new cornbread one. I have yet to find one that really satisfies me, so I'm looking forward to trying the Northern. Thanks for sharing! btw, I have been working out a new menu/recipe manager for monthly planning of meals and shopping. I am loving it! But still working out some of the details. Someday it would be fun to share it. But I don't know how many enjoy planning out meals that far. Somehow I think you might like it, or parts of it. Thanks again, for all your sharing! I've shared a few of your recipes around to a lot of people!