Saturday, March 29, 2008

Homemade Vanilla Ice Cream

Wow, this recipe brings back a lot of memories. My mom made us ice cream quite a bit when we were young, and it was a family tradition to make it on the 4th of July and eat it while we were watching fireworks. I was so excited when I bought our ice cream maker, and we use it frequently. We pulled it out for the first time since the late fall/early winter yesterday, and it was delicious! I really can't wait for spring and summer, when we can make this all the time and enjoy it outside! This is one of the best I've found, and I love that it doesn't have eggs in it. I'm just not a fan of using eggs, and prefer the taste without them.

VANILLA ICE CREAM

2 1/2 c. whole milk
2 1/2 c. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
2 1/2 c. half and half
1 1/2 T. vanilla
5 c. whipping cream

Scald milk until bubbles form around edge of pan. Remove from heat. Add sugar and salt, stir until dissolved. Stir in half and half, vanilla, and whipping cream. Cover and refrigerate 30 minutes. Freeze as directed.

*I usually switch the amounts of whipping cream and half and half, just to make it lower in fat. :)

No comments: